Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Trololo redux

Trololo is the perfect Soviet song -- it has no content.

It's been some time since the "Trololo" video started going viral, but for some reason I was drawn back to it recently.



When I first saw this some months ago, I was of course jarred by the strange aesthetics, both dated and foreign, and the stiffness of the singer's physical presence.

But it is sort of a catchy melody, and the guy does have a good voice. So for whatever reason I watched it again recently, and rather enjoyed it.

And then it occurred to me that this makes an interesting statement about what life was like in the Soviet Union. The song has no lyrics. Nothing to censor. Nothing counter-revolutionary. Nothing to fear. Just a pleasant ditty, performed with a nervous and sterile rigidity.

No comments: