Sunday, March 21, 2010

Video Or It Didn't Happen

Being called a racist is just about the worst thing a person or group can be called. There are reports that black members of Congress had racist epithets hurled at them, and that Barney Frank was called a "faggot".

Frankly, I don't believe it. That's not to say it's impossible for it to have happened, but that there is absolutely zero evidence of it. All we have is the say-so of some folks who have every political motivation to discredit their opponents.

Video was taken from two different angles of the time in question. At no point can anything be heard resembling the accusations made.






I'll accept these accusations when I see some real proof. Until then, video or it didn't happen.

(h/t Doubleplusundead, Midnightbluesays)

3 comments:

-y said...

Look, I'm not going to argue your point about whether or not these accusations are true because as you say, there's no proof, but I think your first sentence is the perfect example of how those with priviledge misunderstand identity politics. There are many things worse than being called a racist, even unfairly - like any racial epithet out there, perhaps?

JoeCollins said...

There was a time when that was true, but I don't think that's true any more. Racism is no longer tolerated in polite society. Branding X as a racist serves to delegitimize X irredeemably. It actually serves a very similar function as those racial epithets. Those society deems as racists have no social standing.

JoeCollins said...

Also, I'll preemptively distance myself from those who are saying the absence of evidence is evidence of absence. All I'm saying is that the onus is on the accuser. Maybe that's a fine distinction, but I think it's a real one.