Tuesday, March 30, 2010

In the year of our...what's that now?

Is there no end to political correctness?

Some students at Trinity University in San Antonio, TX, were put off by the phrase, "In the year of our Lord" on their diplomas.

Seriously? At Trinity University, of all places. The institution may be effectively secularized by now, but it's... you know... TRINITY.  I mean, that's the whole Anno Domini business, a graceful expression which is of course being slowly bled from the culture in favor of the clumsy "CE".

And while I'm on the topic, I have a bone to pick with the "CE" folks. I get the impetus behind the "CE/BCE" designation, but I'm irked by the "C".  Why the "Common Era"?  The calendar was explicitly designed as a Christian calendar.  Nothing special happened on or around the year 1 CE except in the Christian context.  "CE" is the Christian Era, and that should not be a controversial or divisive statement.



(h/t Gabriel Malor)

No comments: