Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Open Thread

For any comments on Mass, Twitter, the price of tea in China...

My grandfather died earlier today, so my commentary will probably be light for a few days.

---
Update 1/21

Here's the obit in the local paper.  The link should be good for at least a couple of months.




I'm guessing this picture is about two years old.  It would have been nice if somebody had combed his hair before they snapped the shot, but it's an accurate reflection of his state of self-awareness at the time.

It's amazing what can go wrong even with a pre-planned mortuary service.  I'll just leave it at that.  And the pastor was incommunicado for two days, which held up the publishing of the obituary since we couldn't officially confirm the use of the church until last evening.

--Matt, I'll never forget the "praying pants".

2 comments:

-y said...

Sorry to hear about your grandfather, Joe. My thoughts are with you and your family.
-Yuri

JoeCollins said...

Thanks Yuri. He had struggled with Alzheimer's for several years, and this last year or so was especially taxing for him and the family. It's been since June that I can say with any reasonable confidence that he recognized me or my Dad, and we were both very close to him and had been involved in his daily life for years. I'd pretty much come to terms with the fact that the man I knew hasn't been around for some time.

It's also a good excuse to keep me from rambling about the election since it was already painfully over-analyzed well before Tuesday.