Friday, January 08, 2010

New Domino's, New Coke

Ok, nobody's going to confuse a Domino's pizza with something pulled out of a brick oven in Brooklyn, let alone anything genuinely Italian. But the pizza was ok, it was fairly consistent, it showed up at your door in a reasonable amount of time, and it didn't break the bank. Domino's built a half-billion dollar company on that pizza.

Hey, let's totally change it!



Um, how about, "no"? Sounds a little "New Coke" to me. Focus groups tell you all sorts of things... and then sometimes people go out and engage in completely different behavior in the real world.

If that was the new pizza that I ate on Dec 24th, then count me in the "Domino's classic" crowd. It sucked big time. The only thing I can say good about it is that the Pizza Hut pizza I had recently sucked more. (Has the Hut recently changed their formula too?)

2 comments:

TheBitterAmerican said...

Kentucky Fried Taco Hut still gives me agita.

If it isn't from a corner store (OK, Bravo is a decent chain), I'm not eating it.

JoeCollins said...

I used to sorta like Hut, though obviously never confusing it with anything authentic. Keep in mind I live out in the sticks, so my choices are limited.

We had a few local shops owned by some Sicilian immigrants, but those are either either in the hands of their children or have been sold to local redneck non-Italians. Still decent, but not like it used to be.