Sunday, June 21, 2009

Father's Day

I'm not a father, but I did get a gift of sorts today.

My grandfather has advanced Alzheimer's disease and is barely verbal. Ask him a question and you'll likely get a "yes". Did you like that ice cream? Yeah. Would you like to stick a cockroach in your nose? Yeah. There was a time when it seemed like he recognized me, but those times seem to be gone now.

Dad and I went to visit him today, and I got a whole sentence out of him. He grabbed my hand, looked at me, smiled, and asked "How ya doin', old buddy?"

Awesome Father's Day.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sounds fantastic. I'm glad you got that.

~MJA

Vijay said...

That was a very awesome gift! It's amazing how the smallest things can have such a huge effect.

Samay said...

That's really nice.