Thursday, March 26, 2009

Thank you for smoking

An ode to "the smoky veil of the American dream and feel the mighty fume coming out of the American land, a Native genie rising from the bottled mysterious desert of endless imagination."

My family knows all too well the death embedded in the evil weed. Still, I break out a cigar once or twice a year, and bars just aren't the same anymore without secondhand smoke.

The blog post is very well written, so just forget all that stuff about cancer for a moment and enjoy:
Burning tobacco became like burning sacred incense on the altar of freedom, the special effects of the American Spirit, a uniquely American substance which, as with everything uniquely American, can either liberate if used consciously or destroy if used in excess.
(via AlexC)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is he trying to say he digs hairy, smoking, French chicks?

Also - I think I smoked my last cigar on the day I took the MCATs, ate a chicken finger sub from the Pit, drank Mt. Dew + Vodka, and smoked one of the cigars we got in Canada - then puked in your suite in Phase...

- Matt

JoeCollins said...

yeah, those cigars we got in Canada really kicked my butt too - moreso than most cigars I've had. But then again my cigar budget usually tops out about 5 or 6 bucks a pop, and these were clearly more than that.

Viva... er.. "Canada".

JoeCollins said...

Al Haig: "I prefer to think of it as burning their crops to the ground."